Interactive ionogram Scaling Technologies
U MASS Lowell
Please e-mail suggestions and corrections to Ivan_Galkin@uml.edu
Center for Atmospheric Research
Last changed: February 5, 2014
Configuring "read-only" connection to Lowell DIDB
|Apply for the Lowell DIDB account to Prof. Bodo Reinisch,
username and password will be issued for SAO-X connection to Lowell.
|Make sure you have SAO Explorer version 3.2.02 or
better. The SAO-X installation page with instructions can be found here.
|Configure DIDB connection. This operation is done
If the connection is successful, the title bar of the SAO-X will have
"(<database alias> is online)" added after its version number. This
connection needs to be configured only once. Next time you start SAO-X,
it will attempt connecting to the DIDBase by itself.
- Open SAO-X and select "Database connection" from the File menu.
That brings up "Connection to database" window, with a list of available
databases in the lower panel and address editor in the upper panel. The
database list should be empty in your case, all lines should say NONE ().
- Select one of the available lines in the list and click Edit
button to specify our server.
- Enter the alias. "Lowell DIDB" or "UMLCAR DIDB" seems like a
good suggestion for the alias.
- Enter Database URLjdbc:firebirdsql://22.214.171.124//ext/db/ib/didb
- Provide the DIDB username and password.
- Click on "Save in the list" button.
- Then click the Connect button below.
- The window will close and SAO-X will attempt connecting to us.
|Catalogs and queries
- When you see "DIDB is online" in the title bar, you can click
on the "New Query" tool-button with the symbol of lightning (or "New Query"
from the File menu). The SAO-X will request the list of available digisonde
stations from DIDB. It may take some time, depending on your location and
- The first thing to try is perhaps the Station Tree, where we
have the list of digisonde stations and start and end times of stored data.
As you open the tree branches, watch for the mouse pointer that turns to
the sandclock when there is an ongoing operation. When you follow down the
tree to a particular day, you can click on the Set button to select the data
- Then try Calendar Tree for the list of stations available for
individual days. You can also select a particular station in the "Data Source"
combobox and try "Current Station" button for complete inventory of data
for that station.
- You can directly specify time interval and station in the query
window. If you are not sure whether the data are available in DIDB, look
up the data in the catalog first (using station or calendar tree).
|Read-only connection to DIDB does not allow online
submissions of ionogram editing results to DIDB. Please apply for the scaler
account to Prof. Bodo Reinisch, and further instructions will be e-mailed